The Racing Operations Department is looking for a committed and self-motivated individual to join its team to support the cross border horse movement duties for the Conghua Thoroughbred Training Centre (“CTC”). CTC is a major strategic project of The Hong Kong Jockey Club (HKJC) as a cross-border home of HKJC’s stabling, training and racing facilities to support Hong Kong racing operations.
- Responsible for the safety and welfare of the horses during travel; supervise and manage a team of travelling grooms to deliver work standards in compliance with the Club’s policies and standard operations procedures.
- Load and unload horses onto/off a horse float by following the loading plan, using different techniques and various aids (e.g. rope handle, blindfold etc) to load difficult horses.
- Use appropriate techniques to calm down unsettled horses in the horse float and identify the difference between horses’ strange / bad behaviours versus behaviours caused by any symptoms (e.g. colic).
- Communicate and describe horse conditions clearly and concisely with English speaking Veterinary Officers via phone or radio. Make fast decision and leverage available communication tools to tell team members and driver what to do in order to prevent the situation from worsening.
- Equip with horse first aid knowledge and administer it in case of emergency. Apply essential medications, oral sedatives or injection to horses when necessary. Take off a loose / spread horse shoe from horse when necessary.
- Know all different functions of the horse float and adjust when necessary including but not limited to partitions, sniffer boards, ramps etc.
- Recognise signs of horse’s bodily functions (droppings, urination, water intake) are not within normal parameters and report accordingly.
- Assist Horse Movement Coordinator in preparing and keeping travel records, and documenting incidents and vital individual horse information e.g scrambler to serve as reference for future travel planning.
- Understand and fit different horse travelling equipment and gear; and adjust, remove or replace them when necessary.
- Demonstrate as a role model for Travelling Groom and ensure the Travelling Grooms adhere to the legal and operational compliance requirements. Provide coaching, direction and support to team members.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor or Stables Management